Tuesday, July 25, 2006

very helpful people

Tonight we went to the third largest festival in Japan. Imagine you're at a huge keg party in the middle of Times Square on New Year's eve. And you can't understand anything other than excuse me and thank you. It was a lot like that. We did get to see more drunk people carrying shrines, the Sapporo barge cheerleaders, and a quarter of a million people? I do not think this is an exaggeration. We also ate octopus balls- different from buffalo oysters, but still kind of gross.
We also chatted with two very kind English speakers.
One saw us looking at a map at the end of the night; he was a businessman who was eager to practice his English since he was going to America the next morning. LA, Kentucky, and Indiana. I guess when you travel for business you can't be too picky. He walked us all the way . . . to the wrong station. But it was very very very kind of him to try to help us.
The other kind English speaking man was standing with his son or grandson (it can be very hard to tell ages here)with us on this island watching the fireworks. We talked about where we were from and what we were doing in Japan. And then this happened:
Anne: Your English is very good.
Man: You mean my Janglish.
What Anne wanted to say so badly but didn't: Better than my Crapanese.
What Anne said: Better than my Japanese.

And now I'm so glad I have someone to tell that joke to. I still think it's funny.
We are both trying to learn Japanese, but it's not easy. People talk fast here. And don't get me started on Kanji. Pictographs? Seriously?
On the plus side, people here are very helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home